[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Welded Rebar advise needed

At 05:13 PM 9/30/96 -0700, you wrote:

>I want to resist uplift ( with 7/8" diameter threaded rods welded to #6 rebar
>(jamb bars) embedded into the footing.

Did you know that rebar welding is often unreliable, unless special
procedures are followed, or unless "weldable rebar" is used? It's not common
in the field. The problem is the high carbon content which leaves everything
very brittle, and the start of the weld is a stress raiser.

If the wall isn't built yet, try an ordinary lapped splice. You can put nuts
and washers on the threaded rod to get anchorage equivalent to the deformed
rebar.

If you're stuck with existing rebar and the projection isn't enough to
develop the tension, you may be able to bend it into a hook, or thread the
rebar for a coupling splice. I guess you CAN weld if you have to, but you'll
need a good welder with good equipment, and special supervision. There are
probably better alternatives, such as drilling in some anchors somewhere,
instead.

The base plate should bear on concrete, but it sounds like you'll be
grouting the masonry, so it could still be on concrete at masonry level.
You'll probably want some flowable grout under the base plate. Putting the
base plate on top means the bolts have to stick out and might be in
somebody's way.

I hope I understood the situation. I gather the "header" is like a lintel.
"CMU" is a TLA* I haven't heard in Vancouver - perhaps Concrete Masonry Units?

                                                           *"Three Letter
Acronym"

Jim Warne