[SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Welded Rebar advise needed

I am not sure I totally understand the connection, however the welding of
rebar is addressed in the PCI Design Handbook.  The specific type of weld
you refer to is a flare V groove weld.  Be sure to specify weldable rebar.
 ASTM A 706 rebar is what is generally specified for weldable rebar, but it
can be difficult to obtain.  If you choose to use ASTM A615 rebar, you need
to obtain the mill test reports to calculate the carbon equivalents, which
are then used to calculate the preheat.

Welding high carbon rebar should be avoided if at all possible.  If it can't
be avoided, get it inspected by an AWS certified inspector.

One easy solution is to use deformed bar anchors, which are weldable, but
you are somewhat limited on length availability.

You may also wish to consider couplers.

Another potential solution is to use a headed anchor bolt lapped onto a
rebar hooked at the top.  The embedment should be sufficient to develop the
hooked rebar.  Proper confining steel is required to avoid bursting.

The only other potential problem that I see is that the lap lengths,
embedments, etc. are all developed for concrete not the grout contained in a
CMU wall.  you could hold the CMU back and provide an integral conc. column
in the wall similar to the details prevalent in wind resistant construction
in Florida.

Since you are already placing a concrete cap, I would hold the cmu back from
the column center line and install a reinforced concrete column integral
with the cmu wall.  I would use vertical rebar with hooks at the top.  Run
the horizontal rebar from the cmu wall through the reinforced concrete
column.  Provide headed anchor bolts in the top of the concrete column, and
connect the steel column with the anchor bolts.  To limit the lateral slip
due to the oversized holes in the base plates, provide plate washers and
weld the plate washer to the base plate.

Harold Sprague
spragueho(--nospam--at)bv.com