[SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] Welded Rebar advise needed - Thank you All

To all of you who have responded - Thank you very much.
As you have pointed out - welded rebar for a residential project where it will be used in only one location is pointless and costly.
Rather than try to extend the column down the basement wall as Michael Cochran suggested, I will use a continuous threaded rebar - bent into the foundation - to develop the tension that is needed. I discussed this with a builder who felt it would be easier to create a template with plywood for the bolt spacing and suspend the assembly in place until the foundation and wall is formed. There is some room for play in this scenario. The ends of the rebar can be threaded and used to attach the baseplate - above or below the concrete cap.
This appears to be the least costly way. Half blocks can be used to build up the wall and all block cavities will be grouted.
For your information, I have thought out one other possible solution:
Remove two courses of CMU from the top of wall and form a gradebeam capable of taking the column moment without extending the column an additional 8'-0" down. Inasmuch as the column is a TS7x5x1/4", the 12" gradebeam width should be sufficient to allow for passage of top and bottom steel.

Thanks again,
Dennis

PS: Many of you indicated trouble understanding the problem. This is common since at this time we have no other way to describe the condition except by written description. The simple ASCII sketches are difficult to provide.
I would provide a GIF, BMP, WMF, UUE or DXF graphic file for all to view, but the difficulty is presented to those that are not involved since this would increase the download time of the message.
I have a suggestion that includes the use of a teleconferencing software such as the Microsoft Netroom software for Windows 95. Since it is a free download it can be used to set up peer review sessions online that engineers can be involved with - in real time.
I'd be interested in your comments or ways that each of you have found to communicate over the Net.
My thoughts are that this is a first step in committee meeting that are held via online services.
I'm posting this separately to start a discussion thread.