[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Impact Loads

I would worry more about the glass than the columns.  Energy may not work
well because the mammal is compressed.  This is an interesting problem. I
would go look at an large mammal aquariam that's been around for 15-20
years! Frank Woeste, P. E.

At 12:35 AM 10/2/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I am working on designing a series of columns that are designed to
>support glass walls that will contain marine mammals.  The
>specifications give the masses and velocities of the various animals,
>but not the methods of calculating the impact forces of these animals
>against the wall.  It was recently decided by the group of interested
>parties that using the kinetic energy of the animal and allowing it to
>deform a certain distance upon impact would be used to calculate the
>force.  Unfortunately, by using a energy method, the kinetic energy of a
>bird at 50 mph is the same as a sea lion at 5 mph, so the walls could be
>designed identically.  Is there a better method to be used?  One based
>on momentum or previous animal studies.  This is similar to what
>aeonautical engineers do when designing aircraft to survive bird impacts
>on windshield or engine fan blades.  Any help would be appreciated.

Frank E. Woeste, Ph. D., P. E.
Biological Systems Engineering
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0303