[SEAOC] Reply:-] Plywood Shear Wall over Gyp Board

Sorry Carl, I think your first phrase "captured the essence" this
time.  I don't think it would be a good idea to leave the gyp board
in place.  Plywood diaphragms tend to fail by bending over and
pulling out the nails anyway, generally accompanied by some
significant enlargement of the nail holes in the 2x stud.  With gyp
board in the way, I don't think the diaphragm would be able to
develop any useful strength at all.  And besides, the contractors have
such fun ripping that stuff off.
Martin Johnson
mwj(--nospam--at)eqe.com