[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] plywood shear wall sill bolts

HARRISENGR(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
One of the speakers at the seaoc convention mentioned the reason for
plate washers in bottom sill plates .....even with the larger washers
the problem
remains ...the anchor bolts are only designed for shear. I wonder what
would happen if the anchor bolts had no washers or nuts so the bottom
plate could deflect with the rest of the wall?

Having personally performed cyclic testing on over 100 shear panels and
served on the SEAOSC Ad Hoc Committee on Testing Standards since July 94
I believe that Mr. Harris is on the right track.  Shear panel hold downs
must sufficient stiffness to prevent panel uplift.  A dual load path
exists for uplift forces and if the hold down is too flexible the panel
and sill will provide unintended hold down forces.  This can cause sill
nailing to be overloaded and the sill to be stressed in bending (cross
grain and longitudinal).  The key to nailed shear panel performance is
the use of very stiff/strong hold downs.

Sincerely
Robert Kazanjy, PE
UC Irvine
Dept of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Structures Laboratory
714-824-2892 (office/voice mail)
714-824-8694 (lab)
714-737-8975 (pager)