[SEAOC] RE: [SEAOC] NEED OPINIONS: Design of "Multibeam" One Way Slab System

The problem proposed is more universal than one might think.  A similar
problem presents itself when designing top level parking decks that can be
accessed by fire fighting equipment.  This situation occurs often where a
building has subgrade parking in which the parking garage footprint exceeds
the footprint of the building.

The UBC and NFPA provide for clear markings on the windows "FD", but these
windows can only be accessed by some sort of areal platform.  Most
structural engineers simply design for AASHTO maximum truck loading.  When
the fire apparatus arrives on the scene the outriggers are put down on a
structural deck that can be overloaded by an enormous factor.  The failure
mode is most often beam or punching shear.

The only limitation to outrigger loading is 75 psi as provided by the NFPA.
 I performed a cursory survey of equipment manufacturers and found maximum
outrigger service loads of 30,000 to 60,000 pounds on a single outrigger.

We work with the fire departments to determine potential fire apparatus and
maximum loads which then become a design load case.  The outrigger loads
invariably govern by quite a margin, yet non of the model building codes
provide for this.

Lacking any better information source we distributed these loads we used the
AASHTO methodology.  I too would like to know if there is a better way.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
spragueho(--nospam--at)bv.com
Black & Veatch