[SEAOC] Re: UBC 106.3.4

I also sent this just before the bomb hit....so here it is again...

At 02:11 PM 10/3/96 -0700, Dennis Wish wrote:

>A new plan check correction is popping up lately that I am unfamiliar with.
>It refers to section 106.3.5 of the 1994 UBC (Book 1 - which I don't own)
>which states: 106.3.5 Inspection and observation program.

Some comments on this posting:
It was a pretty accurate quote, but you ommitted in the text that "the names
of the individuals or firms who are to perform the special inspections" are
to be included in the Inspection Program although you did mention it in
passing later in your posting.  In fact, that issue was part of efforts to
get the contractor out of the loop, at least as far as hiring the Inspector
goes.  As an aside, I understand the city of Phoenix requires the Engineer
of Record to supply the Special Inspection and Materials Testing through his
contract.  That determines for SURE that the Engineer is kept current with
the problems incurred and the solutions developed.  As you know, the
majority of my company's work comes through the Engineering community which
really makes things a lot neater, simpler and easier to stay focused on the
pertinent issues.

>A new plan check correction is popping up lately that I am unfamiliar with.
>It refers to section 106.3.5 of the 1994 UBC (Book 1 - which I don't own)
>which states:
>"106.3.5 Inspection and observation program. When special inspection is
>>observation is to occur.
>The inspection program shall include samples of inspection reports and
>provide time limits for submission of reports."

I believe that ICBO, in its' booklet on the Model Special Inspection
Program, has included some sample forms.  Tom Harris is probably the guy to
talk to, however as regards Structural Observation AND Special Inspection.

>This is a very generalized provision that is difficult to predict. Does
>anyone have a standard format for issuing an inspection program to the
>building official?

>It does not seem difficult to indicate which deputy inspection service is
>to be used, but how does the engineer know when the inspection is to be
>done - i.e., is this a date, or a stage of construction? Can the program
>dictate that the contract shall call for this inspection at the time he is
>ready to begin the work - as long as the engineer, architect or owner
>chooses the inspection service?

I believe that the phases of construction are what is referenced.  The
Structural Observer is required to set a pre-job on site meeting with all
members of the Construction Team; the Engineer, Contractor, Special
Inspector(s) and, if available, the Municipal Inspector.  It's a little
nebulous as to who does the notifying, so that is one of the issues that the
pre-job meeting should resolve as well as the establishment of the
definition of the phases of construction.  We can't tell the Contractor how
to shcedule his work without encountering some responsibility for the
completed product, timewise or qualitywise, but he is the only one who
really knows when (in time and construction phase) he will need to notify
the Inspection Agency of his needs for Special Inspection.  Again, this is
an issue clarified and decided at the pre-job meeting so to make as sure as
possible that work is proceeding within the required quality control and
quality assurance parameters.

>Other than structural foundation steel placement, shear walls (anchor
>bolts, holddowns, and plywood nailing) and load transfers from the
>diaphragm to the shear element, what other observations are to be indicated
>in this program?

What a great lead-in, Dennis, for the SEAOSC Inspection Practices
Committes's upcoming sequel to the resoundingly successful ENGINEERING &
INSPECTION '95, "Lessons Learned From Northrige" on March 11 '95 at the
Unocal Auditorium.  Sold out, over 500 Engineers and Inspectors met and
further opened areas of dialogue.

The upcoming seminar on February 22, 1997 is ENGINEERING & INSPECTION '97,
"The Structural Observer and the Inspector".  We belive this will help to
explain confusing issues and further clarify the roles of each.  In fact,
this examination has already uncovered deliberate areas of duplication of
efforts and justified them. Who is looking at what and when to proceed
ahead, how do we communicate?  How does one member of the Team know what the
other members have done?  What is the paper trail? None of us is involved in
only one job at a time; record keeping needs to meet the necessary without
overworking the copy machine in snowstorm of paperwork which may not even
get read!   This examination will allow all of us to benefit from the
combined experiences.

The format is to address each of 4 disciplines, Wood Framing, Structural
Steel, Masonry, and Concrete, defined even further as New Construction and
Existing Buildings (retro-fit, remodels etc.)  We have an Engineer and at
least one Inspector (Municipal and/or Special/Deputy) to address each of
these definitions within each discipline.  An overview, visual aids, lunch
(nothing fancy, sandwiches and soda), a trade show in which Industry gets to
show off their wares.

We have been working on this for 4 months.  Flyers are being developed and
we are exploring ways to ensure that as many as possible are given the
opportunity to take advantage of this program and would appreciate any
promotional ideas or groups to be included in the mailing.

Sandy Pringle
sandyp(--nospam--at)beachnet.com
http://www.beachnet.com/~sandyp/index.htm