[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] rebar costs

I've observed this for several years.  Usually I give the contractor the
option of using 40 grade steel for #4 bars and smaller though often, they
end up being 60 grade.  Small scale retailers like hardware stores seem to
have mostly 40 grade, suitable for simple residential or small commercial
construction.

The one advantage to the lower 40 grade steel is when bending is required.
A #5 bar 40 grade can be bent by hand, 60 grade becomes brittle and is
harder to bend.  Larger sizes require shop bending or a "hickey" in the field.

That's my thoughts.

At 12:22 AM 11/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>     During a structural observation today the concrete contractor told me
>the differece in cost between 40 and 60ksi rebar is $5.00 per ton ( 1400 feet
>of number 4 bar ).
>     Is this correct? If so, why even bother with 40 ksi rebar as is common
>with number 3 and 4 rebar ? The contractor said lately local suppliers had
>60ksi readily available in the smaller sizes. The application today was a
>non-structural slab on grade with number 3 rebar at 18" O.C..
>     I would value your thoughts.
>
>Tom Harris, SE
>Thousand Oaks, CA

dennismc