[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] rebar costs

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 07:48:34 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 HARRISENGR(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

>Tom,
>I don't think it matters in slabs on grade, however, I think the blanket
>specification that we see so often of "all number 5 and smaller shall be
>Grade 40..." has got to the point where many of us just do it without
>knowing why. I always specify "all stirrups and ties shall be Grade
>40...", and the reason is bendability. I have seen cracks on the outer
>
>Bob

You are correct about the bendability issue. CRSI provided a report
some years ago that tested the use of high temperatures to bend rebar.
According to the report it works well without reducing the strength
aslong as the temperature and duration are controlled.

Mark E. Deardorff, SE
Deardorff & Deardorff, Inc.
San Diego, CA
MarkD(--nospam--at)DandDEng.com