[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] ] Plywood: sinkers beat common nails?

At 04:15 PM 11/15/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Try NER-272  Staple and Nail Values For Structural Design.
>
>Very Informative.
>
>10d Common, P-nail of same diameter with 1 5/8" penetration have the same
>values.

I have a wood/staple question that I haven't found a definitive answer to in
the UBC code:

I have a plywood shearwall that requires 10d nails at 3" o/c at the panel
joints to achieve the desired capacity.  Would using 14 ga. staples at
closer spacing not require the use of 3" or wider framing members?  Isn't
the 3" or wider requirement based on splintering of the framing and/or
plywood and if so, does the smaller diameter staples (or 8d nails?) cause
the same concerns as 10d nails?  At what spacing would they also be of
concern?    Anybody know of any testing or code provisions or have some
information on this subject?  Does NER-272 contain this information?

Thanks,

Peder Golberg, P.E.
Portland, OR