[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Crack Width Limitations

At a general basis I think cracks abowe 0.2 mm in width should be repaired,
both of structural and estetical reasons. The structural reasons is
unsertain: I'v read reports (sorry, I do not remember titles or names) that
concludes that cracs ar dangerous to some sytems and field reports that says
teh opposite. Last week I talked with Mr. R. Kompen - concrete division of
the Norwegian Road Dept. He told me that on some bridges that is exposed to
high Cl- enviroment there was no sign that vertical cracks had more or
deeper Cl-l consentratin then the uncracked parts of the bridge.

For the time beeing I think it is best to be conservative. The specs for
bridges ordered by the Norwegian road Detp. is using 0.2-0.3 mm as critical
crack width.

Cracks of this size will also be visible at a short range.

oes

Mr. Øyvind Sæter    (Alternative: OEyvind Saeter)
M. Sc. in Civil Engineering - Structural Analysis and Concrete Technology.

Email: oysater(--nospam--at)sn.no | oes(--nospam--at)pvv.ntnu.no | oes(--nospam--at)pvv.unit.no
       All mail is forwarded to oysater(--nospam--at)sn.no
WWW  : http:\\www.pvv.ntnu.no\~oes

Disclaimer:
  Information in this EMail has nothing to do with NTNU, PVV or my employer.
  If you do not like my spelling -> http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~oes/misspelling.html