[SEAOC] Eurocodes

     To: seaoc

     I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the Eurocodes
from
     E.U. or working with " state limit ", not "allowable stresses ".

     *******************************

     The Eurocode you are probably referring to is EUROCODE 3: DESIGN
OF
     STEEL STRUCTURES Part 1.1 General Rules and Rules for Buildings
(DD
     ENV 1993-1-1).  Also you are probably referring to "LIMIT STATE"

     design.  Limit state design for structural steel is similar to
our
     LRFD design (Ultimate Strength) as opposed to ASD design
(Working
     Stress).  The Europeans I have worked with think it is quite
silly
     that we have designed concrete in the U.S. for 20 year using
Ultimate
     Strength Design but when it comes to steel we still use Working
Stress
     (previously discussed many times on this list server!!).

     If you need foreign codes (DIN, British, Japanese, etc) a good
source
     is IHS (Information Handling Services) in Englewood, Colorado.
If you
     need a complete set they can supply CD-ROMs or if you just need
one or
     two they can fax them to you.  They can be reached at
1-800-447-3352,
     or 1-303-790-0600, or Internet:custsvc(--nospam--at)ihs.com.

     Thomas Hunt
     TOM.HUNT(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com