[SEAOC] Chevron bracing

 Date:	96-11-30 19:12:12 EST
 From:	BCASE1356(--nospam--at)aol.com
 To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

 I have been reviewing some drawings for a two story office building with
flexible floor and roof diaphragms which has used chevron bracing for the
lateral resisting system.  The unique thing about this chevron bracing is
that the roof beam which the diagonal tube steel bracing members connect to
is a glu-lam beam.  The calculated seismic forces acting on the glu-lam beam
have been accounted for (approximately 60 kips axial force into the bracing =
3Rw/8), including secondary moments due to the bracing connection.  I realize
that many wood trusses have been built for higher axial loads using both
rough sawn lumber and glu-lam members, but these are usually only subject to
static gravity loads and not dynamic loads such as generated during an
earthquake.  My question is does anyone know of any reason why you should not
use a glu-lam beam as part of a chevron braced frame if you can show by
calculation that it works.

 Thanks in advance.

 Michael Cochran  S.E.
 Brian L. Cochran Associates