[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Avalanche Design of Structures

wellive(--nospam--at)ibm.net wrote:

> I am looking for available resource information regarding the design
> of buildings and structures for avalanche forces. Since the design
> concept seems to parallel lateral force design, I would appreciate
> any interested comments.

Just my $.02 but it would seem that the design of buildings and
structures for avalanche forces would be more akin to design offshore
structures; ie wave action & storms.  An avalanche can impart a lot more
force than wind, its a density issue (as well as velocity^2).  It would
depend on the performance criteria for the building; shape is probably
critical as well.

 Robert Kazanjy, PE
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering