Re: Anchoring a Bolt in Concrete Block Advice Needed

I agree with the messages suggesting the use of a screen type adhesive
anchor in a cmu wall. But I suggest that the problem exists with the
load on a 1 inch anchor in a hollow cmu wall when placed in tension. The
anchor itself won't fail, but its anchorage will. The pull-out force on
a cone of cmu approximately 2 inches in diameter can't be much.

With the impact of force on a moment arm, the tension in the top anchor
could be far in excess of the capacity of the cmu itself.

ted

btw, I think I've been to a Hilti webpage...it was one of the fastener
suppliers. Also try Redhead/ITT and Rawl

--
[Ted Partrick, PE		 Nothing I'm mailing is official, it is all      ]
[Structural Engineer             personal. However, I do take my work