Re: 2 Holddowns at corner question

     Dennis , You may already know this but did Simpson tell you that if you
check for the eccentric bending plus the tension ( minus holes ) of the post
, that the values in their manuals are way off  reality? When i asked them
about this they said it is the industry standard to list values as they do. I
calc about 2600# max for any hd in a 4 x 4  and about 6 kips for any hd in a
6 x 6  . In plan checking , i have seen engineers use the Simpson tables and
assume they can get 7460 #  with a hd8a in a 4 x 4 because the table says so
. Foot note 11 ( and discussion with Bob Greg at SST ) says testing is in
steel jigs with no wood involved. Many people may not see footnote 4 or know
to check  UBC sec 2308.1.
      I use one hd at the corner . I had not considered the difference in
nailing the side versus the rear of the post as a difference in eccentricity
previously but don't personnally consider it significant. The nail has
embedment on the rear face and the side face is usually nailed near the rear
so they should be close.  ( Unless i misunderstand your point ).Since the
force is uplift, the post shouldn't care which side the hd is on but will
feel the eccentricity at the hd bolt either way.
     I agree on the pa's. Also, 1 vs 2 pour, corner vs interior , rebar in
shear cone, bending  during pour, ...

     Tom Harris, SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA