Re: 2 Holddowns at corner question

Dennis S. Wish wrote:

> I often have conditions where there is a holddown required for two
> shearwalls that meet at a corner condition.

I have worked in four different engineering offices which all use a
single HD where walls intersect.  The logic was that all HD
installations are excentric.  It would be interesting to consider a
lateral force acting at a 45 degree angle to both walls which may create
a combined uplift force larger than the standard one directional
approach.  This would not be standard practice (wind and earthquakes
only act transverse and longitudinal to a building), but could justify
using multiple HD's.

We just increased Simpson's HD sales by 5%.

Have a safe New Year and a Great Next Year.

Jim Dane