Letter from Shafat

Dear SEAOC list members:

First of all I like to wish you all a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. Year 1996 is
over and was a great year for our Internet server. Here is a summary of
what has changed on our list server and web server.

First of all, we now have our own 200 Mhz Pentium Pro with Windows NT 4.0
internet server connected to a T1 line. This server uses a new NTMail and
NTlist software. The software seems to be really good.

Our new email list software is much smarter. You should see less of those
annoying subscribe and unsubscribe messages. Another good feature is that
the list will now automatically turn off the receipt request. This will
keep off those unwanted receipt messages from the list.

There is also a "Digest" feature. If you like the list to send you all the
email messages only once a day, you need to send an email to
admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type:
Digest seaoc
This is a good feature for those who pay per email.

Help is now available by sending email to admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and typing the
word "Help" (no quotes) in the body of the message.

Another cool feature is the "Get" and "Dir" feature. The Dir command lets
you see the directory of the files that you can automatically get via
email. The Get command will collect the file for you via email. I have
posted several files. If you like to see what is there, send an email to
admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type:
dir seaoc

Let us say you like to get this file:

"Performance of Tilt-Ups In Northridge.txt"

You need to send email to admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type:

get seaoc Performance of Tilt-Ups In Northridge.txt

If you like to post a file, please email it to me at seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org. I
will then post it for you. For security reasons, users can not upload a
file to the list directory.

Our Web site is constantly changing. There are lots of documents available
for download. Plus you will find newsletter of all chapters and our popular
SEAOC ONLINE newsletter. Last month our web site recorded 14,400 hits. Our
web address is http://www.seaoc.org

Due to the increase in traffic, we will be rearranging our Web site so that
access to information is quick and easy. We plan to add search feature,
notification feature and address update feature. This year we will also
introduce a "Virtual Mall" for structural engineers. There you will find
hundreds of hardware, software and other engineering related products. If
you are a vendor and would like to reserve a space in our virtual mall,
please send me an email.

I have set up a newsgroup called structural.seaoc.org. I am working on a
gateway between the list and the newsgroup. As soon as that will be
available, I will let you know.

Lastly, I like to extend my sincerest appreciation to the board of Southern
California chapter. Without their support, all this wouldn't be possible.

I am constantly looking for suggestions. Please feel free to email me.

Thank you all for your cooperation and support. Let us keep the discussions
on.

Shafat Qazi, P.E.
Chair SEAOC CAC

p.s. I have a feeling that 1997 will be a great year!