Re: Is SMRSF permitted in Seismic Zone 2?

Nice arguement, but not quite.  The UBC allows either SMRSF or IMSF
construction to be used in Zone 2.  The reward for providing the
more elaborate seismic detailing is to design for reduced seismic
forces, using Rw of 12 for SMRSF versus 8 for IMSF.  Even with the
reduced strength,  the SMRSF is probably more likely to survive the
Zone 2 event than the IMSF.  However, building a SMRSF in a Zone 2
area may be difficult to do depending upon where you are, since the
constructor may not want to provide any more reinforcing steel than
what he is used to using in that area.
M.Johnson (mwj(--nospam--at)eqe.com)