Re: Is SMRSF permitted in Seismic Zone 2?

> I feel that it is not the intent of the Uniform Building Code (UBC), 1994
> Edition, that SMRSF be used for buildings located in the zone of moderate
> seismic-risk (Zone 2). Is my view correct? I rely ... :
[snip]
The Uniform Building Code is a MINIMUM set of requirements that a structure
MUST meet.  The Structural Engineer responsible for the design must make his
own evaluation as to the appropriate structural system for a given set of
circumstances.  The UBC certainly does not PREVENT ductility detailing for
buildings in any region, it simply ALLOWS less ductility in areas where the
seismic risk is less.

Bill Cain, SE
Albany, CA