22-1/2 degree masonry bolts -Reply

>>> Alexander Itsekson <engineers(--nospam--at)huntingtondesign.com> 01/29/97 11:40am >>>
Does anybody know what is the accepted inclination of 22-1/2 degree epoxy
bolts in unreinforced masonry (upwards, downwards, sideways)?

It seems like the most common practice is to install them downwards, but
what do you do when the bolts are at the ceiling?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander (Sasha) Itsekson
Huntington Design Associates
Oakland,  CA

In Los Angeles, after the Whittier Narrows Earthquake, some damaged URM (or UMB) buildings with 22 ½ degree grouted anchors in the upward position were found to have  a problem.  The grout had slump away from the anchors.  After that discovery, Los Angeles required all 22 ½ degree grouted anchors be installed in the downward position.  Some how this same limitation was imposed on epoxy anchors.  We have approved epoxy anchors in the upward position when supported by field tests.  You might want to talk to some manufactures for more information.

By the way, we have never approved a sideways installation.

Hope this helps you.

Larry Brugger
City of Los Angeles