Fwd: Firm Sued Over Fractures in Steel Frames in Quake

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	roh(--nospam--at)eqe.com (Ron Hamburger)
To:	FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com
CC:	FredT5(--nospam--at)aol.com, sacsteel(--nospam--at)eerc.berekeley.edu
Date: 97-01-31 09:58:58 EST

Frank-

You have an excellent memory.  I do indeed remember your question and
the somewhat pregnant pause that followed prior to a response.  In
defense, if I need one, I must admit until the current E-mail
message, I never fully appreciated, or understood the reason why you
believed the AISC Seismic publication should have been referenced.

Providing "defense materials" for engineers involved in litigation is
not really within the scope of SAC's charter or contract with FEMA.
Nevertheless, I personally am sympathetic to any fellow practitioner
who finds himself under fire for having complied with the prevailing
standard of practice.

I will see that the SAC Project Management Committtee discuss your
latest request at our next meeting, and provide back a response.

Regards
Ronald O. Hamburger
Project Director for Product Development
SAC Joint Venture