Re: Limit of Liability

Another resource that Structural Engineers can make use of
in "managing" their liabilty exposure is using contracts
developed by the Coalition of American Structural
Engineers (CASE).  CASE is affilliated with the American
Consulting Engineers Council (ACEC).

There are currently 11-CASE Agreements.  These agreements
are unique in that they were developed by structural
engineers for structural engineers and the unique
situations they encounter.  All agreements have been
thoroughly reviewed by legal council and the major E&O
insurance carriers.  The agreements address common
situations such as, Limited Service Agreements (short-form
contract), Prime Agreement w/ Owner, Peer Review
Agreement, Provisions for use with AIA C141, Electronic
Media Transfer, etc.  Included in the Terms and Conditions
are clauses covering such things as, Hidden Conditions (ie
structural systems concealed by architectural finishes),
Risk Allocation (limitation of liability),
Indemnifications and Termination of Service (stop work if
not payed) and others.  All of the contract agreements are
available on disked and can be purchased at a nominal cost
from CASE.

More information can be gained on CASE by visiting their
web site at:

http://www.acec.org/coal/case.htm

CASE
1015 Fifteenth Street, N.W., Suite 802
Washington, D.C. 20005
(202) 347-7474

Contact: Ed Bajer, CASE Executive Director

Ed Dean

<---- Begin Included Message ---->