Re: Re[2]: Effective Length of Wall Studs

Have you tried contacting USG (U.S. Gypsum) to see what tests have been
done to justify these figures. Historically, I've seen very little evidence
of damage caused by stud buckeling in residential structures after seismic
activity. This would include partitions both loaded and unloaded where
there was cabinetry attached - ie, kitchens, studies (books) and storage -
wall units. My feeling is that if the unit is a closed back system, the
connection of the storage unit may help to brace the studs rather than work
against them. However, my thoughts are based upon connections of the
cabinet at the very least at the top, middle and bottom - and at each stud.
In my original post, I would question any load secured to a stud with a
material such as Celotex placed in between. Inasmuch as Celotex is
essentally an expanded poly foam, there would be little resistance for
bending of the connector due to the load applied.
Are you noticing problems which are leading to this question or are you
thinking past the design problem at hand?
I'd be interested in how you resolve this, although I have not seen much
damage to walls where cabinets are installed (or bookcases).
Dennis Wish PE