Effective Length of Wall Studs

In the design check of 2x4 studs (STUD GRADE) in a load bearing wall in a
residence, how effective is the lateral support provided by say a Celotex
exterior wall sheathing (generic designation?) and 1/2 " drywall (gypsum
board) interior towards preventing stud buckling under axial loads? I can see
that for a plywood or OSB exterior seathing and gypsum baord interior,
perhaps the stud is effectively braced continuously along its length against
column buckling. Therefore, its allowable axial load is based on compressive
strength parallel to the grain. But what about a lesser sheathing material
such as Celotex? I am looking at the loads produced by some bookcases in my
house located against an exterior wall on the second floor. Conservatively
assuming no bracing of the studs, each stud is good for 510# axial force and
this is exceeded by the load produced from the only dead load (roof+attic
floor+second floor wall + second floor) and bookcase weight. As I am not
experienced in residental design, I am hoping to get some feedback from those
that are. Thanks. Any specific references from industry associations on this
question ?

Jim Fulton