Fees

I no longer work in commercial structural engineering.  I now work in heavy
industrial where fees are calculated much differently.

I will list what used to be the practice of some of my colleagues for
commercial structural engineering services in the Kansas City area.  Some of
the fee structure may still be applicable because they were linked to costs.

0.50% to 0.75% of total construction costs
(By way of comparison architectural fees were generally 4% to 6% of the
total construction cost)
1% to 2% of cost of the structure

2.8 times salary = billing rate

Often times fees were figured by the estimate of the number of drawing
sheets.
About 4 days per sheet for engineering and 2 days per sheet for the
technician.
Technicians were paid about 60% of an engineers salary.

It is best to figure fees several ways before you venture your guess or your
bid.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague
Black & Veatch