Re: DSA AND "OVERSIZE" HOLES IN SILLS AND LEDGERS

At 01:02 PM 1/15/97 -0800, you wrote:
>dennismc(--nospam--at)mcn.org wrote:
>>
>> This is a typical DSA requirement.  Another solution to repairing is to put
>> a small diameter metal sleeve into the hole to make it tighter.
>>

>Your idea was a good one. But what about using a special washer shaped
>like the shear plates used in timber connections? These will provide
>plenty of shear for a sill application, I'd think.
>
>Perhaps a plate for a washer with 3 or 4 nails in predrilled holes.
>
>ted

A solution used in the City of Los Angeles when installing epoxy anchors
through wood into concrete is to inject a little more epoxy between the
bolt and the wood and turn it counterclockwise to ensure distribution.
When drilling for epoxy anchors, generally the hole size is required to be
1/8" greater than the anchor diameter which puts the installation out of
conformance to the UBC requirements of 1/16".  Since all these anchors are
installed under the continuous inspection of a Special/Deputy Inspector
with a Controlled Activities Certification in "Drilled-In Anchors", the
Quality Control is simple.