Re: DSA AND "OVERSIZE" HOLES IN SILLS AND LEDGERS

<< Subj:	DSA AND "OVERSIZE" HOLES IN SILLS AND LEDGERS
 Date:	97-01-14 00:52:49 EST
 From:	SE2386(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net (GAYLORD R. RANSOM)
 Reply-to:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
 To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
 CC:	se2386(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net

 We have a project (School) under construction in Fresno Co..  The
 project has wood shear walls and a wood roof attached to masonry walls.
  The contractor has drilled the holes in the ledgers and sill plates 1/8
 inch oversize.  For the 300 plus or minus PLF load that we have I don't
 see a plovlem,  but DSA is rejecting the installation.  Does any one
 have nay information relating to the "codified" nature of this
 installation?  We can find data on wood-wood connections and steel-steel
 connections,  but nothing that details sills and ledgers to
 concrete/masonry.
 Thanks in advance for your help.

-------------separator--------------------

Gaylord,

You have had several responses as to how you might fix the oversized hole
condition,  one other you might consider is the Harlen MSP plate washer.
 This washer  has the four corners of the plate bent down to form prongs
(similar to a nail stop plate used on wood studs where electrical conduit
passes through the stud) which engage the wood sill or ledger when hammered
down over the oversized hole.

The product has an ICBO approval, but I believe they can not market this as
field fix because the code does not allow oversize holes, nor does the code
want to encourage the practice of oversized holes if a field fix product were
to exist.  The MSP plate is marketed as a reinforcement plate, with design
values for shear when the plate is used on just one side of the wood member
or both sides of the wood member.  You can contact them at 1-800-821-9262
(Los Angeles, CA) for additional literature.  I don't know if DSA will allow
this as a field fix since the holes are oversized in the wood member, but it
sounds like the cheapest field fix, and since the holes are only sightly
oversized, I think this would be reasonable.  This would be similar to the
washer with four screws that was mentoned previously.

Michael Cochran
Brian L. Cochran Assoc.
Los Angeles, CA