Re: DSA AND "OVERSIZE" HOLES IN SILLS AND LEDGERS

dennismc(--nospam--at)mcn.org wrote:

> This is a typical DSA requirement.  Another solution to repairing is to put
> a small diameter metal sleeve into the hole to make it tighter.
>
> dennismc
>
> At 10:00 AM 1/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >What kind of anchor installation is it? If it is an epoxy installation, I
> >would not think that this would be a problem except for the loss of excess
> >epoxy. If the oversized hole is in the wood ledger, than I believe that DSA
> >is justified and either the ledgers should be replaced or the anchor
> >increased and redrilled.
> >I'm not as up to date as I'd like to be, but I remember that there was a
> >discussion between a tight fit (in wood) between a 1/32" and  1/16"
> >oversized hole.
> >You might check NDS or the local building official for this ruling.
> >Dennis Wish PE
> >

> dennismc

Thanks for the idea.  You are right,  this is a typical DSA requirement,
 and they are "code right".  The problem is that the contractor has a
lot of this in place,  and I'm not convinced that an 1/8" oversized hole
on a 3/4" diameter anchor poses any problem.  I don't like to see public
funds expended without a good reason,  so i"m exploring the
possibilities.
Thanks for your time to respond !