Re: Collar Ties

Well, by relying on the diaphragm, you have to remeber that when you do
your sesimic design, your diaphragm already is stressed to some level.
You must add that to your sesimic load, and check the capacity.

When checking an existing structure to see if it is in immediate danager
of collapse, I think your analysis is proper.  However, I would never
actually design a new collar tie roof this way.  We use collar ties
regularly, and design is as a simple truss, checking combined bending in
the top chord below the collar tie.  Sometimes we have to double up the
collar ties and use double shear bolt values connecting the tie tension
force to the rafter or top chord.

Good luck.

Lynn