Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: LRFD Seismic Provisions[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Re: LRFD Seismic Provisions
- From: FredT5(--nospam--at)aol.com
- Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 14:43:27 -0500
I believe these special load combinations are intended to be applied in circumstances where the isolated independent failure of an element could result in partial structural collapse or the loss of a continuous lateral force resisting system. Situations include axial loads on columns supporting discontinuous lateral force resisting elements above, the axial forces on column splices that have less capacity than the column sections themselves and other conditions specifically indicated in the provisions. The factor .4R is proposed by the BSSC PUC to be replaced by a factor omega in the 1997 NEHRP Provisions. A new column of overstrength ratio numbers is proposed to be added to future R tables that will allow for some variation from 0.4R which doesn't reflect appropriate levels of overstrength for some building systems. Alternatively, designers will be encouraged to determine overstrength ratios based on simple nonlinear static procedures.
- Prev by Subject: LRFD Seismic Provisions
- Next by Subject: Re: LRFD Seismic Provisions
- Previous by thread: LRFD Seismic Provisions
- Next by thread: Re: LRFD Seismic Provisions