Diaphragm shears

In a multisory building (light commercial), when the floor diaphragm shear at
a vertical resisting element is higher than calculated building shear at the
vertical resisting element, which load should the vertical element be
designed for?

It doesn't make sense to me to design the floor diaphragm and its connection
to the vertical element for the higher floor diaphragm shear and then design
the vertical element for the lesser building shear. I do not find anything in
UBC or Blue Book Commentary which addresses this issue.

Any thoughts?

Mark D. Baker
Baker Engineering