Fwd: Re: Connection of Pipe Pile to Concrete Cap Beam

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> I have a 36" Diameter pipe pile that I'm attaching to a large reinforced
> concrete cap beam, by embedding rebars into a concrete plug in the pipe
pile,
> and hooking them into the cap beam.
>
> Does anyone have any criteria for how long a concrete plug I'll need?  It
> would seem to me to be a function of the bonding force of the concrete to
the
> pipe wall, but I have no available criteria for this.
>
> In my case, there is no net tension across the beam-pile interface, but
there
> IS considerable moment that I'd like transferred, so as to make this a
moment
> frame.
>
> Any guidance would be welcome.

In the case you describe , I would attach shearhead elements to the top
of the pile , to take care of shear and moment transfer to the cap beam
. The best type of shear head would be steel beam segments with studs
attached. The interior of the pipe should be stiffened to avoid wall
warping and/or wrinkling .

Juan C. Gray