Fwd: Re: Connection of Pipe Pile to Concrete Cap Beam

It sounds like this is a pier cap beam to foundation connection in a
bridge type application.  Are you counting on using the pipe steel
itself to develop the moment capacity you are looking for? If so, two
things to remember 1) You can only count this steel if there is
assurance that corrosion resistence is provided or you typically
discount the outside 1/4" to 1/2" (See the AASHTO code) assuming that it
will corrode.  2) you need to develop this pipe pile steel shell up into
the cap by either welding tabs or threading rebar through the can pile
or even welding A706 hooked Bars to the pipe itself to adequately
develop the steel shell.

If you are discounting the "can" pile itself in determining moment
capacity then you can use the concrete core w/ reinforcing as you
mentioned.  Typically this detail would include approximately 40 feet of
concrete and the top twenty with reinforcing, BUT, this can caus
construction difficulties during concrete placement if the rebar cage is
hanging, ie sometimes it is much easier to set the cage to the bottom if
the piles are not significantly long.  The confinement steel in this
lower portion does not need to be greater than code minimum.  As far as
developing moment resistance assume that the concrete within in the pile
is a well confined column and design the required capacity accordingly
assuring that you develop the longitudinal steel up into the cap as well
as down into the pile.  You indicated the there was no net tension on
the pile, if you had then it would be a good idea to adequately develop
the pipe pile up into the cap as I mentioned above.

Brian Bellfi, PE
CH2M Hill-Bridge