Fwd: Re: Deck structure attached through Stucco

>I would insist on your proposed solution of removing the stucco, installing
>flashing and a ledger.  I have been involved in numerous legal cases where
>leaks have been caused by improper design and construction of this detail.
>Anytime you penetrate the stucco and felt, you can count on having leaks.

Why, you might ask? Because stucco is porous, and water will always
penetrate the stucco, and is supposed to drain down the back of the stucco,
shed by the building paper and drain out the bottom. Penetrating the
building paper for bolts, without taking other corrective action, like
adding correctly designed flashing to protect those new holes at the
building paper plane, will indeed result in leaks. Those leaks may take some
time to show up, and can result much more than cosmetic damage, important
structural members could become compromised with rot. Face sealing the holes
in the stucco with caulking is irrelevent, the water is coming at the holes
from elsewhere.

Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada