Fwd: Re: Deck structure attached through Stucco

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 AnandNene(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> I am working on a deck design for a house in Berkeley.  The deck is about 9
> ft. above grade and is 10 ft. from the house back wall.  I typically remove
> stucco, provide flashing and bolt new ledger to existing rim joist.  I have
> seen some contractors attaching the deck ledger directly through the
stucco.
>  My client was advised by a contractor that removal of stucco is not
> necessary.  Obviously this is cheaper solution, but I am not comfortable
with
> this situation.  I have advised my clients accordingly.
>
> Any thoughts, comments ??

First, you are the Engineer, the contractor who advised your client is
NOT.

Second, if the stucco is left in place, the fasteners used to connect the
ledger to the rim joist will now have bending applied to them in addition
to shear and pullout. You can do calcs for this, but I still think it's a
bad detail. In either case you need to protect the (E) construction from
moisture. It seems that in your solution, you deal with this explicitly
with flashing, etc. The contractors solution does not deal with it.

Bob

Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net