Fwd: Re: Free standing masonry walls

Kirk Pysher wrote:

> Has anyone had the opportunity to review the standard free standing wall
> designs available in some building departments?  I recently reviewed the
> design in Fountain Valley for a 4" block wall with 8" pilasters @ 12 ft
o.c..
> The wall only contains horizontal steel 2-9gauge @24" o.c. and the
pilasters
> use 4-#4 vertical bars continuous.  The maximum height of the wall is 6'.
The
> moment at the base of the pilaster is resisted as a "pole type foundation".
> The pilaster foundation is 3' deep and 16" wide.  Running some quick
numbers
> for seismic & wind loads it became apparent to me that the wall was not
stable
> based on current UBC standards.

This is a fairly common construction for landscape architecture. The
design tables for the Brick Institute, though not directly applicable to
cmu, show a similar design. See Brick Institure of America, Technical
Note 29A Revised (Sep 88). This may not meet UBC standards and may be
questionable on seismic grounds though I can't see why not, but it works
for wind loads.

ted
--
[Ted Partrick, PE		 Nothing I'm mailing is official, it is all      ]
[Structural Engineer             personal. However, I do take my work