Fwd: Re: Free standing masonry walls

Kirk Pysher wrote:

> Has anyone had the opportunity to review the standard free standing wall
> designs available in some building departments?  I recently reviewed the
> design in Fountain Valley for a 4" block wall with 8" pilasters @ 12 ft
o.c..
> The wall only contains horizontal steel 2-9gauge @24" o.c. and the
pilasters
> use 4-#4 vertical bars continuous.  The maximum height of the wall is 6'.
The
> moment at the base of the pilaster is resisted as a "pole type foundation".
> The pilaster foundation is 3' deep and 16" wide.  Running some quick
numbers
> for seismic & wind loads it became apparent to me that the wall was not
stable
> based on current UBC standards.
>
> I am looking for some information on how the city can put out such a design
if
> it is not stable.  Or the history of these types of designs that would
explain
> why it is all right.  If anyone could help I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
> Kirk D. Pysher
> kdpysher(--nospam--at)msn.com

Kirk-
I was in the Santa Barbara County department of Building & Safety a few
years ago
and was waiting around to be helped.  They had some literature on the
desk for people
to take, so I started looking through it.  They had some standard
retaining wall
details.  However, the steel in the stem was on the wrong face of the
wall.  I
couldn't believe that they would hand out county standard retaining wall
details with
such basic errors.  I talked to the building official about it, and he
did not
know where they got the standard details from, they had just been around
for years.
They did end up pulling the details, and I now think they are
corrected.  How this
happened and why it took so long for someone to find the error is a
little scary.

Lynn