Fwd: Re: Monlithic or Two Pour (Sorry - place) Slab on Grade

Technically, there is nothing wrong with a construction joint provided it is
treated properly before slab placement.  You are aware about embedment
problems and need for dowels across joint.

I assume the construction joint will be at bottom of slab.  If this joint is
above grade, the joint will show and will always be a visible eyesore.  Also,
this joint is likely to be pervious leading to moisture penetration leading
to corrosion of rebars.

Unless the contractor or owner has a strong reason to go "two pour", I would
strongly suggest monolith placement of slab.  I would also caution the
contractor about extra costs involved in cleaning and preparing the joint and
warn owner that the joint will be seen.  I have noticed that sometimes,
explaining these issues to contractor helps.  Chances are that the owner will
take your advise.

I like and agree we should use term "placing" concrete.  Thanks.

Anand Nene, S. E.