Fwd: Location of Vapor Barrier

Speaking of vapor barriers, I came across something interesting several years
back but don't remember too many details:

The building I'm thinking of was a one or two story building which had layers
of sand and gravel, plus I think a vapor barrier, under the slab-on-grade.
 The general soil condition around the building was impervious clay.  The
building was on the low end of a slope, and the water that collected outside
the building when it rained somehow drained into the sand and gravel layers
under the building.  The rain water therefore collected under the building
and seeped into the building through the slab-on-grade.  Of course the vapor
barrier didn't provide protection from the water.

This was a case of the sand/gravel layer doing more harm than good.  I don't
blame the sand and gravel, since, as I remember, there was an obvious poor
detail that caused the water to be attracted to this area, such as the
placement of gravel under a perimeter wall footing, which allowed the water
to get under the building.  That's it.

Carl S.