Fwd: Building Code Minima

Re:	Tom Harris' query.

With regard to building code minima, I think that it can be paraphrased that
conforming to only the minimum requirements of the building code means that
is
the crummiest that you are permitted to build.

I am an engineer, not a lawyer, and don't know if anyone has been sued for
designing above the minimum stated in the building code, but I am sure that a
lawsuit would quickly result if the mimimum requirements of the building code
were inadequate for a specific situation and someone designed to the minimum.
would recommend that the engineer concerned about being sued seek legal
advice
about his/her responsibility for designing to above building code minimum
requirements.

It is up to the professional to use his/her judgement as to whether the
minimum
requirements of building codes are adequate or not, and, if in the judgement
of
the professional, the minimum requirements are not adequate, then the
professional is obligated to use what he/she feels would be adequate.

Local (City of Tucson and Pima County, Arizona) ammendment to the UBC for the
past 30 years has added:  "The use of minimum requirements specified in the
technical codes does not guarantee, implicitly or explicitly, the safety of
any
building or structure subject to these codes."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.