Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

When I started my practice six years ago, I had heard someone making a remark
to this effect (viz. a client may sue if the design is costly if designed to
more than minimum code requirements).  Since then I made a practice to
include few short sentences in my proposal letters.  I advise my clients
that:

 "....  Codes are guidelines and certainly an excellent reference.  I usually
design to the code, but in certain areas, I prefer to go more than the code
if I believe it would be in the interest of the structure. ...  the design
approach will be based on my experience and judgment.  ...  I prefer to
provide sturdier floors and provide additional seismic ties and connections;
particularly in the hill side sites and seismically active area.  Generally,
these additional items, in my opinion, are relatively inexpensive and the
benefits far outweigh the costs."

Fortunaterly, so far, I have not had a problem.  Most clients understand and
appreciate my comments.  They are willing to go code plus.  If I sense that
the client's approach is different than what I believe in, I generally
withdraw from the project.  I agree with other comments on the subject that
we all may not be able to (or want to) use a balanced approach.

It is upto each individual to draw the line and decide what is the best
approach.

Anand Nene, S. E.