Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

>  wish someone could help unite our efforts to overcome this degradation.

I have been in private practice for  29 years so I am even 2.9x more cynical
than you, Dennis.

In the late 70's I helped gather Orange County S.E.'s for regular lunch
meetings to discuss mutual problems.  It was  benificial to face your
competitors and get to know them. We had these same discussions about problem
clients and accomodating engineers.  The real problem was that these
engineers were for the most part not interested in coming to our meetings. So
again we were preaching to the choir, and sometime I suspected even some of
the choir members strayed from time to time.

Rationalization of fees will always take place and you have just read many in
this thread; I charge as much as I think I can get; I charge less the first
time to get a client; I ask the client how much he is willing to pay; If I'm
not busy I'll charge less, etc. As long as there is this type of rationale
used to set our fee structure, is it any wonder the client feels he should
"shop" around.

We have ourselves to blame and also, personally I feel in addition we have
gotten little support in the area of proper fee structures from SEAOC.

Thank you for your concerns and good efforts

RL Foley, SE