Fwd: Re:

Ron E. Campos wrote:

> I would like some feedback for the following:
> When designing soldier piles with tiebacks, how should torsion be addressed
?
> Through conversations with other Engineer's, most ignore torsion, or
eliminate the problem be installing horizontal wales or straps to the
adjacent soldier piles.
> I know how to combine torsion stresses and shears (due to tieback load x
eccentricity) with normal bending stresses and shears (due to soil loading),
I just don't know how to accurately model the torsion.  Is it just a local
load that transfers directly through the stiffener plates and into the soil
in bearing with no torsion about the shear center of the soldier pile ?
> Or does soil friction along the back side of the lean mix (slurry) resist
the torsion ?
> I know that on many occasions (but not all), during proof loading of the
tiebacks, twisting never even occurs or is very small. So what's resisting
the torsion ?

> Ron E. Campos, S.E.

I was told once as a junior engineer, that the wood lagging was
responsible for satisfying my curiousity about torsion on soldier piles.

Barry H. Welliver
wellive(--nospam--at)ibm.net