Fwd: Re: Pricing Tracts or duplicate designs

> Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:
> >
> > I have the opportunity to bid a low income multi-unit residential
> > complex. The design consists of five buildings of similar floor plan
> > (slight modification to the layout, but probably not the structural
> > framing plans) and two others of similar layout.
> > I need some help in pricing the project. I don't want a dollar figure,
> > but I want to know what to expect for the duplicate designs. What is
> > my services worth as a percentage of the full design?

Dennis,

Try to seperate your cost to complete the first unit design and then
look at what your actual profit is after your costs (mark up).  This is
most likely in the 25% to 50% range.  This mark up number is what you
want to try to get.  Your insurance does not care if you design one
building for free and then allow five building to be built of one
design.  They really are only conserned about construction value that
they are providing insurance for and this is what you are really
providing a design and assuming liability for.  My past experience has
been that I can usually get re-use fee's of 25% for multi family
projects and 10% for tracts (this was for work done in the 1980's when I
did this type of work).  Good luck!

Jim Dane, P.E.