Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

Seems to me like the threat to sue is a bluff. First, what's he gonna sue
for? Negligence? Patently absurd. Presumably your contract doesn't have
anything about limiting  construction charges. A certain amount of over
design certainly isn't an error or an omission, and unless he's actually
built one of the houses he won't be out any money. About all he's got
left is some sort of fraud such as padding your bill, and I gather you
haven't done that. Second, if he does sue, all this is going to become
public record, and his obvious attempt to cut corners and over rule
competent judgement will really make him look great.

It's real easy for me to talk out here at a distance, but I think if this
guy were my client I'd want to have a chat with him about professional
judgement and responsibility. If he won't listen to reason, you don't
need him as a client. He'll cost you a lot more sweat than what he'll
pay, and you can bet he's only started cutting corners. Finally, if the
lawsuit threat doesn't go away, you should point out that he has no
grounds (or get your lawyer to do so) or damages and that any nuisance
suit will be construed as defamation of character, which is also
actionable.

http://www.skypoint.com/subscribers/chrisw