Fwd: Re: Monlithic or Two Pour Slab on Grade

At 08:59 AM 3/5/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I need some quick advise on this topic. I designed a custom home with a
>monolithically poured slab on grade. The contractor wants to do the slab as
>a two pour because he feels that it is easier to set and locate his
>holddowns and anchor bolts.

It generally is easier to hold the bolts in place, depends on the forming.
Most of the projects I do involve footings in one pour and slab in another.
Make sure you have adequate shear transfer between the slab and footings,
shear keys or dowels.

dennismc

>I remember some posts regarding problems with two pour slabs and the
>potential for sliding during heavy seismic activity.
>Is a two pour slab still considered a viable construction method. The
>structure is a one story custom home in the Palm Springs area.
>Sincerely
>Dennis Wish PE
>
>PS: I understand about the necessity to assure that my anchor bolts and
>holddowns are properly embedded into the continuous footing of the slab.

dennismc