Fwd: Lag bolt connections at end grain for shear

------=_NextPart_000_01BC2254.B090AD00

I need to carry a reaction from a beam (400 lbs live and 600 lbs dead) on a
4x10 block that is to be secured between two 2x10 rafter tails. The
connection is for a patio cover where the beam (6x10) will rest above the
rafters.
The contractor wanted to secure a ledger to the ends of the rafter tails. I
talked him out of this in lieu of securing a solid block between the
rafters. This way I can control both the load normal to the roof (without
worrying about the low withdrawal value of the lag bolt to the rafter end)
as well as control the gravity load from the block to the rafter by laging
in through the face of the rafter tail into the block.
Can anyone advise the allowable shear value for a 1/4" diameter lag bolt
secured through the end grain of the 4x10 block and perpendicular to grain
(through the face) of the rafter. I can't find a value or reduction to
apply for lateral strength based upon end grain installation.
Ideally, I'd like to use 1/4" diameter lag's embedded 3.5" into the 4x10
block.
Is this a concern since it essentially is the same as a stud end nailed to
the mud-sill. Is there a concern for reduction of shear due to an end grain
connection?

If you have an opinion, please let me know. It is not possible to secure
the trellis beam to blocking at the bearing wall due to height restrictions
and the existing gabled roof. I have checked the 2x10 rafters for the
addtional load from the trellis and it is within allowable limits for both
shear and bending (shear at the wall approaches capacity, but does not
exceed it).

Thank you,
Dennis S. Wish PE

------=_NextPart_000_01BC2254.B090AD00

color=3D"#000080" face=3D"Lucida Casual">I need to carry a reaction from =
a beam (400 lbs live and 600 lbs dead) on a 4x10 block that is to be =
secured between two 2x10 rafter tails. The connection is for a patio =
cover where the beam (6x10) will rest above the rafters. <br>The =
contractor wanted to secure a ledger to the ends of the rafter tails. I =
talked him out of this in lieu of securing a solid block between the =
rafters. This way I can control both the load normal to the roof =
(without worrying about the low withdrawal value of the lag bolt to the =
rafter end) as well as control the gravity load from the block to the =
rafter by laging in through the face of the rafter tail into the =
block.<br>Can anyone advise the allowable shear value for a 1/4&quot; =
diameter lag bolt secured through the end grain of the 4x10 block and =
perpendicular to grain (through the face) of the rafter. I can't find a =
value or reduction to apply for lateral strength based upon end grain =
installation.<br>Ideally, I'd like to use 1/4&quot; diameter lag's =
embedded 3.5&quot; into the 4x10 block.<br>Is this a concern since it =
essentially is the same as a stud end nailed to the mud-sill. Is there a =
concern for reduction of shear due to an end grain connection?<br><br>If =
you have an opinion, please let me know. It is not possible to secure =
the trellis beam to blocking at the bearing wall due to height =
restrictions and the existing gabled roof. I have checked the 2x10 =
rafters for the addtional load from the trellis and it is within =
allowable limits for both shear and bending (shear at the wall =
approaches capacity, but does not exceed it).<br><br>Thank =
------=_NextPart_000_01BC2254.B090AD00--