Fwd: Re: building code minimums for wood frame

------=_NextPart_000_01BC229C.628D4800

I guess that I too must apologize. I agreed 100% with Frank, especially
since I have spent enough years to realize the difference between science
and business. Years ago, I quite Architecture because I found out that I
would not be able to use my talents, but would need to cater to business
people that wished to design leasable boxes.
For over ten years of private practice, I have had to deal with the
"bottom-feeders" that Frank mentions. As I mentioned in previous posts, I
make very little profit - opting rather to provide the best package I can
while competing with my equally scavengerous competitors. Now mind you, I
am not implying that my competition is engineers. Some are land civils and
geotechnical's that have crossed the line in order to scrape a bit from
each field. My other competition is the Architect that wants to save a few
bucks and decides to do his own analysis and/or detailing.
To make matters worse, Architects are being forced out of the desert (where
I live) as their clients are going to unlicensed designers to provide the
same services (albeit not nearly as good) for less money.
Where and when will it all stop? The search for the optimization has been
discovered and lost for many years now. As soon as the optimum point was
passed, the industry as a whole began to deteriorate. This is true of
virtually every business that exists today.
I'm sorry to "bitch" about it, but unless the engineering community gets
off of its apathetic haunches and does something productive to institute
change in the code and compliance by licensed professionals, we will all be
ground down into subjegation by the "bottom-line" developer and builder.
Taking an ethical and moral stance to protect ourselves is an admirable
trait that most of us can not afford. Our only out is to provide the best
design and detailing at a lower cost. At least we can help insure better
construction documents. Finally, we must also bite the bullet and make
personal appearances at the job site to further insure that it gets built
as we intended.
I wish someone could help unite our efforts to overcome this degradation.
Sincerely,
A very tired engineer
Dennis Wish PE

------=_NextPart_000_01BC229C.628D4800

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Lucida Casual">I guess that I too must =
apologize. I agreed 100% with Frank, especially since I have spent =
enough years to realize the difference between science and business. =
Years ago, I quite Architecture because I found out that I would not be =
able to use my talents, but would need to cater to business people that =
wished to design leasable boxes. <br>For over ten years of private =
practice, I have had to deal with the &quot;bottom-feeders&quot; that =
Frank mentions. As I mentioned in previous posts, I make very little =
profit - opting rather to provide the best package I can while competing =
with my equally scavengerous competitors. Now mind you, I am not =
implying that my competition is engineers. Some are land civils and =
geotechnical's that have crossed the line in order to scrape a bit from =
each field. My other competition is the Architect that wants to save a =
few bucks and decides to do his own analysis and/or detailing.<br>To =
make matters worse, Architects are being forced out of the desert (where =
I live) as their clients are going to unlicensed designers to provide =
the same services (albeit not nearly as good) for less money.<br>Where =
and when will it all stop? The search for the optimization has been =
discovered and lost for many years now. As soon as the optimum point was =
passed, the industry as a whole began to deteriorate. This is true of =
virtually every business that exists today. <br>I'm sorry to =
&quot;bitch&quot; about it, but unless the engineering community gets =
off of its apathetic haunches and does something productive to institute =
change in the code and compliance by licensed professionals, we will all =
be ground down into subjegation by the &quot;bottom-line&quot; developer =
and builder.<br>Taking an ethical and moral stance to protect ourselves =
is an admirable trait that most of us can not afford. Our only out is to =
provide the best design and detailing at a lower cost. At least we can =
help insure better construction documents. Finally, we must also bite =
the bullet and make personal appearances at the job site to further =
insure that it gets built as we intended.<br>I wish someone could help =
unite our efforts to overcome this degradation.<br>Sincerely,<br>A very =
------=_NextPart_000_01BC229C.628D4800--